The Rise of Aurora West (Battling Boy) by Paul Pope & J.T. Petty

The Rise of Aurora West (Battling Boy) by Paul Pope & J.T. Petty. Illustrated by David Rubin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 160 pages
Published September 30th 2014 by First Second

Well, what a pleasant surprise! I did not like Battling Boy at all and didn't really have high expectations for this one. But wow, it was fantastic, nothing like Battling Boy, which I barely even remember and the art here is so much better. Which would be explained by it being done by David Rubin and not Paul Pope himself. A great monster-fighter story! A father trains his daughter to be his sidekick and eventually take over for him someday. There are mysterious circumstances surrounding the wife/mother's death and the girl is coming close to solving this. The book ends in a "to be continued" manner so nothing is wrapped up here. I liked the various monsters, they were interesting, and I loved the characters.

Comments