Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 1 by Yuuto Tsukuda

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 1 by Yuuto Tsukuda
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 208 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by VIZ Media LLC
(first published in Japanese, April 4th 2013)

Food Wars! (1)

I really thoroughly enjoyed this. I've never quite read a manga of this type before. It's a straight story, no magic or fantasy and set in the real world of today, but it's hilarious. At first I foud myself thinking how utterly unrealistic the story was, but then laughed because, yeah, all the other manga I read is sooo realistic, right? LOL So I got over that and became totally immersed in the characters and the story. I amazingly really liked this dude! Plus the antics are hilarious. While he is a wonderful chef he also likes to make perfectly horrid dishes like squid and peanut butter and make people eat them. There is no sex but when someone eats something that tastes totally divine they are morphed into a dream where they are naked, in ecstasy, and things are wrapped around the naughty bits, like a snake or clouds or steam. Now, of course, this is usually female nakedness but men do get the same treatment occasionally and there was a nice beefcake illustration [grin]. Anyway, that's why the 16+ publisher rating on this one. I might just continue on with this series as it's so different from anything else I'm reading/have read. I'd only have a few volumes to catch up on to be up-to-date.

Comments