Planetes Omnibus, Volume 1 by Makoto Yukimura

Planetes Omnibus, Volume 1 by Makoto Yukimura
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 528 pages
Published December 22nd 2015 by Dark Horse Manga
Orignal Japanese, 1999
Source: Purchased print edition

Planetes (1)

This is by the same author as the currently running "Vinland Saga". The art is absolutely fantastic and this edition by Dark Horse is a beautiful book. Volume 1 is an omnibus containing the first half of the series. Each chapter starts with the original colour pages and the book itself is made of thick quality paper. The story is hard science fiction and I think this is my first manga like this. The main theme is space travel and the main character's training for a mission to Jupiter. The characters are both quirky and dark and I was wrapped up in the story very quickly. The book leaves me with a lot of thought as the topics are very philosophical and deep. I've not read a manga quite like this before and am looking forward to reading the final volume.

Comments