Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me by Emmanuel Guibert

Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and MeAriol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me by Emmanuel Guibert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've been wanting to read this cute looking kids comic series for a while and now that vol. 4 has just been published thought I'd start in. The series ended up being as cute as I had expected but more funny and adult-humour suited than expected. It is the type of humour that kids appreciate on one level while adults on a whole other. A collection of several unrelated (plot-wise) short stories which contain the same characters. The kids (all various animals) are not given an age but are somewhere between teen and young teen, (gr. 7-9) and the stories involve their school lives, friendships, home-life, crushes and trouble they get into. Basically a slice-of life for kids at this age. Main characters are Ariol the donkey and his BFF Ramono the pig. However, there is a huge supporting cast and I've already taken a special liking to several already including Mr. Ribera the chicken gym teacher whose habit of saying "in fact" is an ongoing joke. The art is delightful in that French style that I adore and the cover perfectly displays what you can expect. The book was funny and cute but I'm sticking with a rating of Good (3*) as it wasn't hilarious, but I'm hoping the stories will only get better as we go along. On to Volume 2!

View all my reviews

Comments