196 . Tiger & Bunny Vol. 1 Art by Mizuki Sakakibara.

Tiger & Bunny 1 Art by Mizuki Sakakibara. Script by Masafumi Nishida
Tiger & Bunny, Vol. 1

Rating: (5/5)

(US) - (Canada)

Apr. 9, 2013, viz media, 168 pgs

Age: 13+


"The official manga tie-in to the international smash-hit animated series! 
Superpowered humans known as NEXT appeared in the world 45 years ago. Some of them fight crime in the city of Stern Bild while promoting their corporate sponsors on the hit show “HERO TV.” The people love their superheroes, even if they don’t completely understand them, and not all of the NEXT use their powers for good.
Veteran hero Wild Tiger has years of experience fighting crime, but his ratings have been slipping. Under orders from his new employer, Wild Tiger finds himself forced to team up with Barnaby Brooks Jr., a rookie with an attitude. Overcoming their differences will be at least as difficult for this mismatched duo as taking down superpowered bad guys!"

Received a review copy from Simon & Schuster Canada.

This is quite different from what I usually read and is based on a hit anime series.  However, the summary caught my attention, had me intrigued and I am so glad I gave this one a try because I absolutely loved it.  It is hilarious and was great fun to read.  I already love both Tiger and Bunny while at the same time thinking they are both quite arrogant, which only serves to make their bantering even more funny.  The other super-heroes are also a lot of fun and I hope the series will spend time focusing on them as well as the two main characters.  At this point I am quite interested in Rock Bison.  While this is a funny comedy, it also is a superhero series with plenty of battles already in the first volume alone.  Sometimes it can take more than the first volume in a manga series to decide if it is going to be for you but as I finished this one, I immediately looked up when Volume 2 would be released and went {squee!} to find out its release date is early July (2013).  The only reason I could find for the 13+ rating was for very mild s*xual innuendo and I'd personally have no problem recommending to ages 10+ (at least for this volume, we'll have to see where it goes).

Comments