Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye (Young Animal) Vol. 1: Going Underground by Gerard Way

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye (Young Animal) Vol. 1: Going Underground by Gerard Way
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm really impressed with the new "Young Animal" imprint and Cave Carson was no exception, in fact, it is my favourite one so far! I had never even heard of Cave Carson before and I love that this series is bringing back old characters that have faded into the past, haven't had a story in ages, or they just never got popular and we've forgotten they exist. We are dropped right into this story with feet running. A small set-up helps us get started placing the characters in time, Cave's wife has just died. The plot goes off in all directions slightly assuming we know what they are talking about while slowly revealing the plot elements that make us understand and get hooked. There are a lot of characters here and as far as I could gather there are three teams, Carson's, a "bad' one, and a "grey" one. The art is also fantastic with really cool colours, virtually psychedelic at times. I also liked the shout out to fans by placing the story in the current DCU by making a reference we understand that the characters in the book don't. I'm hoping this one continues as I'm hooked!

Comments