73. Grimm Fairy Tales: Robyn Hood by Pat Shand.


Robyn Hood by Pat Shand. Art by Dan Glasl, Larry Watts & Rob Dumo (3/5)
Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Robyn Hood, Vol. 1


(US) - (Canada)

Mar. 12, 2013, Zenoscope, 156 pgs
Age: 18+


  • "In the land of Myst, a tyrant rules the city of Bree with an iron fist, leaving its citizens living in fear and terror. But all hope is not lost as a young orphan girl from another world discovers her destiny and becomes the legend she was meant to be."


I love these Grimm books and I quite enjoyed the first four chapters of this one when Robyn was sent to the village of Bree, but once she came back to our world again the story just became too violent.  As always with these books we get lots of sexy outfits but I don't mind that.  The violence is high, but the sex and language are low in this volume.  A good fun romp most of the time.  While not graphically detailed, this volume is a bit more intense than other Grimms I've read as it deals with rape early on setting a serious tone which is left behind while Robyn goes to Bree.  The re-imagining of the whole Robin Hood story is told in this volume and was a whole lot of fun.  I enjoyed how key elements of the familiar tale were incorporated into the story.  I became uncomfortable with the story in the last chapter when Robyn comes home and turns into an excessively violent vigilante distributing her own brand of justice to those who were in any way connected with hurting her.  I felt it went too far and I lost any empathy I felt for her, though she isn't a particularly empathetic character to begin with.  I was surprised and pleased with how the story twisted and turned into the beginning of a new story arc which leaves us waiting to read the next volume.  Not my favourite Grimm story but I'll certainly read the next volume.

Comments