The Count of Monte Cristo by Aexandre Dumas by Steven Grant & Dan Spiegle (illus)


The Count of Monte Cristo by Aexandre Dumas
by Steven Grant & Dan Spiegle (illus)
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Classics Illustrated (#8)

So this is another classic that I have not read the original of first. I never had any intention of reading this original as I did try to read The Three Musketeers once and gave it up as a bad job. Over the years I've come to simply realize I do like French Literature nor historical fiction set in French history, not even if Charles Dickens writes it. This story was passable reading but it is a very complicated plot with many storylines between various characters going on and I can only imagine the number of cast not included in this graphic adaptation. A silly romance, with over the top devotions, willing to die rather than live without that one special love. It's also a story of revenge, backstabbing, swindling and the past coming back to haunt us. I can't compare to the original but Grant did manage to keep me on my toes with all that was going on with so many characters I never felt lost; while Spiegle is a legendary artist in the field and his art makes for an attractive book. However reading this has not made me want to read the original, anything else by Dumas nor has it changed my opinion of French Lit. in general.

View all my reviews

Comments