How the World Was: A California Childhood by Emmanuel Guibert

How the World Was: A California Childhood by Emmanuel Guibert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 160 pages
Published July 15th 2014 by First Second

Alan's War (Prequel)

Entirely Engrossing! This is the prequel to "Alan's War", which I haven't read yet. Written in a first person perspective, it is the story of Alan Cole's life growing up, and his family's, during the Great Depression. A touching story from a man with deep insight into the human condition. Rivetting. Guibert's art is fantastic! Though I haven't read "Alan's War", I have read "The Photographer" and the style is similar to it. Guibert uses his own pencil sketches plus actual photographs along with a unique process whereby he combines photographs into sketches, sometimes leaving some of the photo behind, other times, completely turning it into a sketch. Loved every single thing about this historical memoir.

View all my reviews

Comments