Family Ties: An Alaskan Crime Drama by Eric Hobbs

Family Ties: An Alaskan Crime DramaFamily Ties: An Alaskan Crime Drama by Eric Hobbs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG! This was absolutely brilliant! I was riveted. A page-turner that had me glued to my seat. I love a good mafia story and using the plot of King Lear this brings the elements of a Shakespearean tragedy to the drama of a mafioso family epic. While the plot deviates from the play quite a bit the basics are there shaping a new unique retelling. The father of the family here has dementia and his decline in health along with the siblings' and friends' differing opinions on how to deal with him are also a major plot point. Just like Shakespeare, there are many different threads that all weave together from different angles until they meet up together. Then I was blown away with the awesome violent explosive and emotional climax. The art is done with black and white in a sketchy manner which brings about the stark nature of the story. One of the best dramatic graphic novels I've read this year.

View all my reviews

Comments