Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir by Colleen Frakes



Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir by Colleen Frakes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 192 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by Zest Books
Source: received a review copy from the publisher

This certainly sounded like it would make for a cool story. The author's real-life account of growing up on a penitentiary island. Unfortunately, I found it dull. The author chronicles a last-chance final-look trip her family makes when the prison & island were shut down and depopulated. The story flashes back to episodes from her childhood on the island and life as the child of migratory prison guard parents in general. Slight humour and a fairly interesting peek into an unusual lifestyle, but nothing dramatic or climactic happens. I became bored half way through and had to push myself to finish it. Wasn't really worth the effort.

View all my reviews

Comments