Macbeth by Gareth Hinds



Macbeth by Gareth Hinds
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 152 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by Candlewick Press

This is my third classic graphic novel adaptation by Hinds and I adore his work. I've done a little research on him and can't find any indications that he's studied or is an expert in classic/ancient literature. However, this is his works' specialty in graphic novels and his introductions and back matter notes on historical references, notes on his adaptations and page by page annotations on his choices show both a scholarly familiarity with the work and an intense research of the subject. I've mentioned before that Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare and this was a delight for me to read. Hinds keeps to Shakespearean language though he's often written it in prose to make it work better in his format. The art is fantastic as Hinds' work always is; he uses darkness and shadows effectively here. A beautiful piece of work, more "art" really. Would definitely enhance a high school student's experience who was studying the play but more so a great addition to any Shakespearean aficionado's collection.

Comments