Wacky Raceland by Ken Pontac

Wacky Raceland by Ken Pontac
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this much more than I did. I grew up with the Wacky Racers and thought a post-apocalyptic race was a grand idea for this revamp of the cartoon. I did enjoy the book and had great fun with the characters; I really like how they all were updated and the time spent on giving backstories for the main characters. All the teams are accounted for in this volume but the main focus is on Penelope and Dastardly with a few others taking up secondary positions. I really liked that the cars were all sentient with A.I.! The problem I had was there was just too much jumping around, both from character to character and from pre- to post-apocalypse. It's a very complicated plot which gets somewhat lost in all the various goings-on. However, the ending focused on the plot having everyone join together in the present. Even though this book is not labelled volume 1 and it does have a solution to the main arc, the ending leaves us in the lurch with an obvious "more to come" conclusion. If there is a second volume I know I'll be there as I really like the characters in this. Oh, I also loved the Mad Max feel to the art!

Comments