The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth by Ian Lendler





The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth by Ian Lendler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was a lot of fun, especially for someone who already knows the premise of Macbeth. Macbeth is one of my absolute favourite Shakespeare so I was looking forward to this. I'm not sure this could be said to be a child's first introduction to Shakespeare in a meaningful way but they'll love it for the pure humour of it. The art is fantastic, as I also enjoyed Giallongo's work in "Broxo". Bold and vibrant with a colour palette of mostly greens and blues to match the atmosphere of the tragedy of Macbeth. However, this version of the play is pure pleasure with zoo animals as the characters and a hungry lion eating his victims while they remain talkative in his tummy, instead of any murders. It was quite fun to see how imaginative Lendler could be with incorporating real elements of the Shakespeare into this parody. He even inserts a couple of direct quotes. Adults will have a good giggle at the pastiche while children will belly-laugh at the shear farce. The last page tells us the next coming attraction will be "Romeo & Juliet". Now that is one of my most hated Shakespeare but I have to say I'm quite looking forward to seeing what Lendler will do with it!

View all my reviews

Comments