25. Thieves & Kings, Volume Two by Mark Oakley


Thieves & Kings: The Green Book by Mark Oakley (US) - (Canada)
Thieves & Kings, Vol. 2

Pages: 210
Ages: 12+
Finished: Feb. 01, 2013
First Published: 1997
Publisher: I Box
Interests: graphic novel, fantasy, MG, YA, Canadian Author
Rating:  5/5

First sentences: "Rubel stood at the lip of the drawbridge in a state of trepidation; the proper state for a thief to be in under such conditions as these."

Publisher's Summary: "The second volume of Thieves & Kings collects ten issues of the original comic book series, detailing the story of the young thief, Rubel and the Shadow Lady who seeks to capture his soul.  Introduced also in this volume is the wizard, Quinton and his young apprentice, Heath Wingwhit.  Between these four, demon traps are built, poisonings endured and dragon dreams journeyed, while mad princes and monsters of every ilk challenge the way for all.

Also included in this volume are the Madman of Millbrook strips not reprinted since issue #2"


Acquired: Borrowed a copy from my niece.

Reason for Reading:  I'm visiting family in Edmonton and I asked my 14yo niece if she had any graphic novels I hadn't read and she pulled out the first three books in this series. This is the next in the series; unfortunately I won't have time to read the third book before I go home :-(

I love this graphic novel series!  Even better than the first volume!  The fantasy/quest becomes much more involved as two very important characters are introduced, the wizard Quinton who has been mentioned in the first volume but is missing, and his apprentice the young girl Heath Wingwhit.  Rubel's story and Quinton & Heath's are separated by 1,000 years introducing a time paradox element to the tale.  One character common to both stories is the Shadow Lady and much information is slowly revealed leaving the reader curious, confused and scrambling to piece the mysteries together.  I had started to form an idea as to who someones true identity might be but was proven wrong towards the end of this volume when a particularly splendid reveal caused the story to become even more engaging.  The new character's are funny, Quinton is a boy but someone who is thousand's of years old and is the quintessential bumbling and mumbling albeit incredibly intelligent wizard.  Heath is a girl with no fears and a take no prisoners attitude who is loyal to her mentor, even when everyone else is positive he is off his rocker.  Great dynamics between these two make for fun reading.  I still think the story is suitable for middle grade and up, though unfortunately the word "d*mn" has been added to the vocabulary and overused without any need except to perhaps make the story appear more grown up to older readers.  I'd label the story for YA but suitable for older and younger.  I can't wait to continue on with this series and hope once I get home my library will be able to supply the remaining five volumes for me.


Comments