Art Schooled by Jamie Coe

Art Schooled by Jamie Coe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wonderful art and highly entertaining. There is no indication that this book is autobiographical but one can't help but think so while reading. Coe's art style is wonderfully comic and cartoony while being radical and risque. The "art-style" nudity and language make this a certain mature read and perfect fit for the so-called "new adult" crowd. The story is funny, touching and ironic and it examines the eccentricities of art students, the various stereotypes, a country boy's thoughts on the new experiences he meets such as modern art, veganism, psychobabble and finding himself a weirdo among the "weirdos". There were a couple of spots where I felt the story wandered a bit but otherwise I had a great time reading this and mulling over what Coe is perhaps saying about university and young people on the path to becoming who they will be. I'd certainly read more of his work.

View all my reviews

Comments