Inuyashiki 2 by Hiroya Oku

Inuyashiki 2 by Hiroya Oku
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 192 pages
Published November 24th 2015 by Kodansha Comics
Source: review copy from Random Penguin House Canada

Inuyashiki (#2)

Wow! This volume made me feel very uneasy. The art is absolutely fantastic for a start. I think he may have used real photographs at certain points to make them look like drawings, not sure it's amazing anyway. The story is disturbing. This volume concentrates on the young man who was present on the hill and needless to say, he is the antithesis to the old man; a serial killer in the making with no moral convictions at all. He doesn't seem to have any humanity left and we have his friend with him to judge his former self with his new machine self. There does seem to be a tiny vestige of what he may have been lurking inside, but we'll have to see. The old man, Inuyashiki gets his fair share of time here too though and he learns more of what he can do and tries out more of his chosen path by using his powers for good; it isn't going to be easy but it makes him feel better than anything in his life ever has so far. An interesting look at what makes us human, good vs evil, man vs machine. This volume is brutally violent, stomach-churningly so and contains an almost X-rated sex scene. I'm apprehensive about the next volume. The story is deep; I want to see how Inuyashiki progresses but I'm uneasy as to where Hiro's sadistic character will plummet. I'll be reading volume three and then we'll see if I go further.

Comments

  1. Glad to see you liked this! I just bought it a couple weeks ago and am going to read it this weekend. I wondered how violent and disturbing it was going to get because the younger man that's introduced at the end of Vol 1 does seem to be quite a bit looser in the morals department.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking forward to your review! It certainly is disturbing (for me) but causes some thinking. The old man's character is becoming quite likable though.

      Delete

Post a Comment