A Glance Backward by Pierre Paquet; illus by Tony Sandoval

A Glance Backward by Pierre Paquet; illus by Tony Sandoval
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 90 pages
Published May 12th 2015 by Magnetic Press
Source: egalley via edelweiss

This is the creepy kind of disturbing comic art that I just adore. Sandoval reminds me somewhat of Renee French in style though his execution is more detailed. This is not a book for kids even though the main character is 11 years old and the theme is one of coming of age abruptly after a death. I found the story poignant while the violence and blood were shocking. The first read through is surreal as we drift through this dreamland with its odd and nightmarish moments but upon completion I found myself returning to the start and reading again with a fuller understanding and having a more grounded experience within the dream. Just begs to be read more than once! Brilliant! But do note: Not for children.

Comments