364. Sweet Rein, Vol. 1 by Sakura Tsukuba

Sweet Rein, Vol. 1 by Sakura Tsukuba.

Rating: (4/5)

(Kindle) - (US) - (Canada) - (UK)

Nov. 5, 2013, VIZ Media, 191 pgs

Age: (13+)

"Sad at the thought of spending Christmas alone, Kurumi Sagara goes out for a walk. While she’s crossing the street, a boy bumps into her, and a rein suddenly appears that binds them together. The overjoyed boy tells her she’s his master and that she’s a Santa Claus. Kurumi dismisses him as a crazy person, but then he transforms into a reindeer?!"

Received an unsolicited review copy from the publisher.

I honestly did not think this was going to be my type of thing at all.  The plot really sounded lame to me but am I ever surprised to have enjoyed this as much as I did!  It is such a cute story.  Shojo is not my cup of tea, but Sweet Rein manages to be cute, sweet and romantic without all the "squee" and usual annoying banter I don't like about this genre.  A genuine nice book, with lovable characters and such a cute, feel-good plot.  After three chapters the book ends with a one-shot story about a vampire whose little daughter arrives at his doorstep, "Sweet Bite Mark", turned out to be a lovely story also and I'm quite impressed with this book.  Very light-hearted, but sincere and adorable.  Perfect Christmas story for a Christmas gift.

Comments