Nimona by Noelle Stevenson


Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 266 pages
Published May 12th 2015 by HarperTeen
Source: local library

Having not been amused by Stevenson's "Lumberjanes" I approached this also widely hailed title with caution only to find myself engaged and endeared. A lovely touching story that is both humorous and fantastically odd. Nimona is a wonderful character! She's a shapeshifter and I've always had a soft spot for 'shifters. But Nimona is unusual, she's either a girl who can turn into any living being she wants including a monster, or! she's a monster who can turn into any living being she wants including a girl. I loved the relationship between her and the not very evil villain. The story is full of action and adventure, but it is also about the oppression and fight for freedom of a town under the thumb of an oppressive, totalitarian government. I wasn't thrilled with the ending but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed my journey getting there and loved the art throughout.

Comments