New Suicide Squad Vol. 1: Pure Insanity by Sean Ryan

Pure Insanity by Sean Ryan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 192 pages
Published July 21st 2015 by DC Comics

New Suicide Squad (Vol. 1)



I like team-ups, but I'm fairly new to Suicide Squad; I've only read the first volume of the New 52 series. However, I know most of these characters, at least a bit. The stories were good enough pleasant reading. Over the volume, the team changes so two different teams go on two missions first to Russia and then to China. In the first mission, there is no bad guy except Russia itself (I hate that). In the second the Chinese are mass-manufacturing an as yet untested genetically modified superhero. All the half-finished clones and one final model are the bad guy(s) in the second mission. That was my favourite. But mostly I just found the stories didn't click that well. Characters appeared and disappeared with no real explanation. Some were made up for this issue and the Chinese villain wasn't even ever named!. Maybe I missed something somewhere about Man-Bat recently but he got bad treatment that didn't make sense to me and after enjoying reading "Reverse Flash", him showing up here was fun until he also got the shoddy treatment. Anyway, not the greatest, but not the worst. Harley is fun and she's used as a major character throughout. Will read the next volume but do hope they get some cohesiveness together here.

Comments