Echoes by Joshua Hale Fialkov

Echoes by Joshua Hale Fialkov; Rahsan Ekedal (illus); Steve Niles (intro)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 168 pages
Published April 5th 2016 by Image Comics
first published 2011
Source: egalley via netgalley

I really enjoyed this! It is pretty creepy and would make a good basis for a longer novel. I was under the impression that this was horror, but it's not. It's what crime enthusiasts would call a serial killer thriller. The whole case is pretty creepy and mixes a serial killer with family secrets and madness. In this case, the "madness" is schizophrenia which is presented overly dramatic for artistic effect but also realistically and responsibly. There are some good twists. I did figure out what was really going on but couldn't figure out the why. The only thing that disappoints me and reduces my rating to a 4/5 is the abrupt, ambiguous ending. The black and white art is magnificently macabre and frightfully enhances the story.

Comments