33. Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem by Steve Niles

Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem by Steve Niles and Matt Santoro. Illustrated by Dave Wachter  (buy)

Rating: (3/5)

Mar 11, 2014, Dark Horse, 80 pgs

Ages: (15+)

"A British plane crashes in a Jewish village, sparking a Nazi invasion. Using clay and mud from the river, the villagers bring to life a giant monster to battle for their freedom and future. Collects the entire miniseries. Steve Niles’s Breath of Bones has been called one of 2013’s best series! ."

Received an egalley from the publisher through Netgalley.

So far I've only read Niles' "Cal MacDonald" series, which I love, so "A Tale of the Golem" appealed to me.  Niles incorporates the Jewish folktale of the Golem into a WWII Jewish town invaded by the Nazis.  It's a fairly straightforward tale with no unexpected plot devices.  It is however, still quite an emotionally charged story and one I enjoyed reading.  The art is black and white and beautiful, though violent images are aplenty; this is a story of war and cruelty.  Something a little different, Not my favourite Niles by a far shot but I certainly enjoyed it.

Comments