Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back by Brenden Fletcher

Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back by Brenden Fletcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow! This is an amazing, well-written story. I didn't manage to read the first semester series beyond the first book, but I will have to rectify that! Anyway, Semester Two starts off with a big bang. It's great for newbies as during the first issue we are introduced to all the main characters at the school but without all the detail that would annoy regular readers. There is a complete mystery during this volume which is solved while at the same time bringing forth a story arc which will run into the second volume. I loved all the characters; I can't even say who I liked best except maybe Katherine, the ghost girl. It's also a great mystery/thriller as from the beginning I knew something wasn't right with one of the characters but I was totally blown away with the reveal. The art is also fantastic. I wonder about its placement in canon though. Obviously, it is outside canon as the characters are all new to this series and have no connection to the DCU, except Batman who maintains continuity. But now the arc is going onto involve the whole of Gotham City and we'll just have to see how they handle that happening in the same Gotham where Rebirth is currently taking place. I can't wait for the next volume and will probably go back now and read the first semester as events were briefly mentioned piquing my interest.

Comments