Exquisite Corpse by Pénélope Bagieu

Exquisite Corpse by Pénélope Bagieu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 128 pages
Published May 5th 2015 by First Second
First Printed French 2010

A short though engrossing page-turner that is a little hard to define. My first thought, and I'm comfortable with it, is to compare the tale to the classic Gothic. A woman stumbles upon a strange situation and finds herself the mistress of a reclusive author. She feels that she has become his muse. But secret after secret is let out of the bag until a couple of twists at the end left me surprised and satisfied. I really enjoyed the book and it has a dstinct Frenchness to it, also with the casual attitude towards sexuality and nudity. That, along with the language would give this a mature rating. The art is also appealing; I enjoy the cartoony style to it. The backgrounds are minimalistic yet there is still a lot of detail within each frame. I enjoyed this and look forward to seeing which of the author's books is translated into English next, this being the first.

Comments