101 Movies to Watch Before You Die by Ricardo Cavolo


101 Movies to Watch Before You Die by Ricardo Cavolo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This duplicates the format of Cavolo's book on music, only this time he tells us his favourite movies. Like the previous book, it is not meant to be a list of "all-time", "best ever", or "most popular" movies instead it is a listing of the movies, in chronological order, which had the most influence, meaning or pure enjoyment to the author himself which he, personally, recommends to others. He journals each movie (one per two page spread) telling all sorts of different information on why he likes the movie. I found it very interesting as the author and I shared a lot of similar taste in films! The movies from the silents through the 80's I had mostly seen, with only a couple I hadn't excepting the foreign language movies. Cavolo has an interesting background (Italian, born in Spain, living his youth with the Romani and having an obsession with American culture) which leads to an eclectic mix of movies. The more modern movies, I found I hadn't seen or even heard of most of them, making me want to see quite a few. The art is ... well, it is fantastic. I love Ricardo Cavolo's bright, surrealistic style and spent more time observing the illustration than reading the text. Recommended!

Comments