9. Only the End of the World Again by Neil Gaiman

Only the End of the World Again by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Oh boy. Neil Gaiman is hit or miss for me but I always come back to his graphic novels and picture books. I wasn't blown away by this one but I found it very compelling even though I hardly understood parts of it. It's a combination of the werewolf myth and Chthullu mythos. Not being a Lovecraft reader I didn't get that part of it but I'm familiar enough to know Lovecraft influence when I see it. The werewolf I'm much more familiar with and was tickled that the shapeshifter here was named Lawrence Talbot in homage to the classic Universal monster. I found the story/art pretty gross at times and mildly baffling at others but the story is one I couldn't stop reading.

Comments